IRMAC General Meeting
A Brief History of Hadoop vs. The Cloud
Similar to how the coevolution of flowers and pollinating animals led to an overall burst of evolution, this reciprocal dynamic has been true for the Hadoop and Cloud eco-systems. However, unlike petunias and hummingbirds, Hadoop and Cloud vendors are often competing against each other for dominance within the same ecological niche. As a result, this confusion can lead to 'stove-pipe' architectures and silos. Now, more than ever, a clear understanding of each ecosystem's trade-offs is needed.
In this talk, Neil Hepburn will:
- Explain what Hadoop is and how its core elements - 'map/reduce' and 'HDFS' - work
- Provide a brief history of Hadoop as it relates to the 'Big 3' cloud vendors: Amazon; Google; and Microsoft
- Highlight and explain key 'big data' innovations including the Google Dataflow, Cloudera Navigator, and Microsoft U-SQL
- Explain the essential differences within the leading Hadoop platforms - Hortonworks, MapR, and Cloudera - and within the Cloud PaaS (Platform-as-a-Service) platforms - Amazon AWS, Google GCP, and Microsoft Azure
- Explain the essential differences between the Hadoop platforms and the Cloud platforms and what the biggest trade-offs are
Neil Hepburn is a Certified Data Management Professional (mastery level), Certified Google GCP Data Engineer, holds an honours B. Math in Computer Science from Waterloo, and has over 23 years software, IT, and data management experience.
Neil has spoken on the topic of information management in numerous public forums in the US and Canada including: Enterprise Data World; FSOSS (Free and Open Source Software Symposium); CMA IT Symposium; Mobile Data Collaboration Conference; Qlik Connections; and numerous universities including University of Toronto, Waterloo, Western, Wilfred Laurier, Ryerson, Trent, Brock, Queens, Windsor, and McMaster.
- Neil Hepburn, A Brief History of Hadoop vs. The Cloud
Meeting: Wednesday, January 17, 2018
4:15 p.m. Registration; 4:30 p.m. Start; Expected finish 6:00 p.m.
Location: The Albany Club, 91 King Street East (near King/Yonge subway), Toronto, ON M5C 1G3.
No advance reservations are required to attend this presentation.
Attendance is free for IRMAC members. A guest fee of $30 applies to non-members. For your convenience, guest fees can now be made, in advance, online using credit cards.